Here's the email, with my niece's name redacted, and my brother-in-law's name altered, so as to give my sister peace-of-mind:
Big News at the Richard House.
Your niece watched Episode IV with me Saturday. She enjoyed it enough that she wanted to watch it yesterday as well.
While watching, she brought up some questions that I did not know the answer to:
- Princess Leia was held in the Death Star, but in the getaway scene she had pretty cheek makeup on. When did she do her makeup?
- Who did Princess Leia's pony tail for her at the end?
- Who was that big hairy cat walking around? I actually explained this one to her, but the name didn't stick, he was still a cat.
- She asked several times throughout the movie if Luke was still sore from getting beat up by the sand people.
- How did they clean Artoo up so quickly at the end after being fried in the trench run?
Since this was the first viewing, I catered more towards answering these questions, than actual teaching. I figured I would explain the Han shot first concept and Darth being Luke's father later. I will probably never force her to watch Episode 1, I don't want to subject her to unnecessary Jar Jar pain and suffering.