This year's two-week motorcycle adventure tour? Idaho! And it was amazing. A couple of people gave incredulous responses when we said we were going to Idaho for our vacation. After motorcycle trips to the Yukon and back, to Jasper and Banff, Yellowstone, national parks in Utah, and, of course, travel all over Europe, we were going to Idaho?
Yes. It was my idea. I was ready for an adventure closer to home, one that didn't require us to ride for 700 miles over two days on the Interstate just to start a vacation. We'd seen a bit of Idaho every time we went over Lolo Pass for other trips, and we'd been to Craters of the Moon already, which we hugely enjoyed. If we concentrated mostly on Idaho for two weeks, we would, at last, see Hells Canyon, a legendary destination for motorcycle riders, and allow us to explore more the North East of Oregon, something we hadn't done yet since moving here in 2009.
Here is the route we went. Unfortunately, this map doesn't have many city names on it.All of the photos from the trip are online, with descriptions; in fact, I also put all the photos for Silver City, Idaho into their own photo album as well.
Here are the travel point highlights:
- Hells Canyon drive from Oxbow Bridge along the Snake River to the Hell's Canyon dam and then back over Oxbow dam to Cambridge, Idaho
- Historic Silver City, Idaho
- Bruneau Dunes State Park, Idaho
- City of Rocks National Reserve, Idaho
- Sawtooth Scenic Byway, Idaho
- Salmon River Scenic Byway, Idaho
- Historic Custer, Idaho
- Ft. Missoula, Montana
- Wallace, Idaho
- Lake Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
- White Pine Scenic Byway, Idaho
- Hell's Canyon Overlook, Oregon
- Joseph, Oregon
- Painted Hills, Oregon
- Little Crater Lake, Oregon