Tuesday, October 9, 2018

30 years ago - 1988

Jeepers. It just dawned on me that, 30 years ago, I graduated from Western Kentucky University, worked my first summer at the Williamstown Theater Festival and then started as a PR assistant at Hartford Stage in Hartford, Connecticut, which had just opened A Midsummer Night's Dream, directed by Mark Lamos and which featured a very young and often shirtless Bradley Whitford. And I was a size 8.

It was an extraordinary year. I loved my senior year of college and I loved my first post-university jobs. I felt like the luckiest girl alive.

What a year it was (links go to photos):
  • I wrung in the new year outside of London with my best friend from WKU, Carmen, and my new best friend from the UK, Louise.
  • In the Spring, I was part of the first massive protest that my university had seen in more than a decade - students protested the WKU President, Kern Alexander, install faculty editors at the WKU student newspaper, the College Heights Herald, and the WKU yearbook, the Talisman.
  • In May, I graduated, stuck around town for a month with friends, then closed my bank account in Bowling Green and moved away, not knowing that Domino's Pizza hadn't cashed my last check I wrote to them and they swore out a bench warrant for my arrest and my former flatmate, still in town for the summer theater, had to take care of it. 
  • I drove from Kentucky to New England and back to Kentucky twice, having never seen much of the USA at all until then. 
  • Over the summer, I helped a fledgling little show called Entertainment Tonight get interviews at Williamstown, which they featured on TV for a full week. 
  • Sigourney Weaver said my name and Tony Goldwyn rocked his baby while doing a press interview in my office. 
  • I met Christopher Reeve and he hated me and two years later, he STILL hated me. 
  • Nikos Psacharopoulos would hang up on me if he called and I said my boss wasn't in the office. 
  • Jon Polito and I discussed both being Capricorns.  
  • I worked with possibly the most talented, dedicated, fun staff I ever have in my life - at Hartford Stage (though the staff at the UN my first two years run a very, very close second)

Good times!

Many of the people I knew in that year, and met in that year, are my still friends to this day.

30 years ago? Sometimes it seems like a million, sometimes it seems like yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment