Sunday, April 4, 2021

2021 - not the return to normal

I'm working part-time, consistently, for 2-3 clients at any given time, and it's been fantastic. But all of the jobs are related to the pandemic crisis on some way - I would not had them had this crisis not happened - and that's beyond surreal and sad. 

I'm still home, venturing out only to walk my doggy. I don't even pick up groceries or fetch take-out - I'm too frightened of the new coronavirus variants, so Stefan has to do it all now (he's fully vaccinated). I'm supposedly eligible as of May 1 now, but you have to get a small miracle to get an appointment - my 80+ neighbor was eligible for eight weeks before she finally was able to get hers. I still think I may not be vaccinated until the Fall. 

As those of you who are getting the vaccine excitedly post about your plans for the summer, please remember that a lot of us still have to stay home, we have no access to a vaccine - and that millions around the world have no access at all and won't this year at all. What I'm saying is... maybe lay off the "Look where I am!!!" vacation photos for 2021. And if you can, find someone over 65 that hasn't gotten the vaccine yet, and help them sign up to get it. 

People have been posting since April of LAST year, "What the first thing you're going to do when this is over?!?" As though there is going to be this singular moment when it's safe to "return to normal." I've avoided doing that because it's unrealistic and I don't want to think about all the things I'm desperately needing. 

When I feel safe enough to get on mass transit again - and it will be with a mask and maybe even a face shield - I'll know we've turned a corner. And where will I go when that happens? 

  • To get my hair cut and colored (though Stefan has been doing a great job). 
  • To a museum. 
  • Maybe to the movies. 
I'll also be willing to go camping (and use a public restroom) and to go into the grocery to shop. And all of that will be enough to make me extraordinarily happy.   

What I won't be doing until I think it's safe (and that means not in 2021):

  • Going to an indoor performance.
  • Going into a crowd of any kind, even outdoors.


No comments:

Post a Comment