Saturday, March 12, 2022

Glory to Ukraine

If you knew me in 2014, then you know that I got to work in Ukraine for two months and I loved it beyond words.

The country had just experienced Euromaidan - the Maidan uprising - when citizens across the country began passionately, loudly protesting the Russian-supported Ukrainian government's sudden decision not to sign the European Union–Ukraine Association Agreement, instead choosing closer ties to Russia and the Eurasian Economic Union. I was there when the uprising was over but before all of the protester, encampments had been removed from Independence Square (Maidan).

Kyiv quickly became one of my favorite big cities on Earth. I loved it. I was proud to be a part of the international effort to help the Ukrainian government do better for its people - but I was thrilled to be living in such a vibrant, beautiful city full of so many vibrant, beautiful people.

August through much of October of last year has been full of tears watching another country where I worked - Afghanistan - come under the subjugation of the Taliban. My trauma was, of course, nothing compared to the people, particularly the women, I worked with there, who are all left behind. It's made me wonder if everything I did was for nothing, because everything I did there - EVERYTHING - is gone. I feel like I lied to every Afghan woman that I supported in her dreams. I feel like I'm a big liar and I've harmed people instead of helped them. 

And now, Ukraine. My trauma is, of course, NOTHING compared to the Ukrainian people. It's nothing compared to the dogs and cats and animals trapped at the Kyiv Zoo - don't even get me started on the elephant there. But, again, everything I did... what was it for? 

And I'm angry. I'm angry at the men that have caused this. I'm angry at obscenely wealthy people like Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos who could help thousands and thousands and thousands of refugees from both Ukraine and Afghanistan and everywhere else with housing. I'm angry that people so outraged about Ukraine have been silent regarding Afghanistan or Yemen or Syria or Chechnia or Cameroon or Congo or Central America... or have said that what's happening in Ukraine matters because they are "civilized." 

But do you even care?

Here are some ways you can help Ukraine, by the way (by donating money - please don't gather diapers or whatever to ship to Poland, I beg you):

CARE International Ukraine

UNICEF Ukraine.

The Bank of Ukraine accounts for humanitarian aid and for the military (separate funds). 

The national chapters of the International Red Cross in Poland, Romania, Moldova, Slovakia and Hungary also accept donations to support Ukrainian refugees in their countries. 

And if you are in Europe, it's likely that there is a local NGO that is helping Ukrainian refugees right in your own community, or very nearby. 

But please don't forget about Afghanistan. CARE and UNICEF are great organizations to support for Afghanistan as well. And there are Afghan refugees all over the world. Even in Owensboro, Kentucky, near my hometown. And throughout where I live in Oregon. Any Google search will help you find organizations in or near your community that help refugees. If you can't help Ukrainian refugees directly, please channel that energy into helping refugees from ANYWHERE that are in your community. Refugees need financial help, mostly with rent. But they also need volunteers who can help them:

  • Move (refugees have to move a LOT).
  • Navigate mass transit.
  • Know what offices to go to for ID cards and the government benefits they qualify for. 
  • Know how parents can be involved in local schools. 
  • What a public library is and what it does and what services it provides (free Internet, classes, events for children, etc.).
  • With computers, smart phones, cell phone plans, etc.
  • Know about free things they can do as a family (street markets, public concerts, etc.).
Please don't stop caring. And please don't just watch from the sidelines. 

No comments:

Post a Comment