Friday, February 7, 2020

overwhelmed by the injustice of our times

I so want this to be true:

As long as there is one upright man, as long as there is one compassionate woman, the contagion may spread and the scene is not desolate. 

From "Letter to M. Nadeau" (30 March 1973) from E.B. White, American essayist, columnist, poet and editor. He is best known today for his work in a writers' guide, The Elements of Style, and for three children's books Charlotte's Web, Stuart Little and The Trumpet of the Swan.

Please tell me the guy who wrote The Elements of Style isn't wrong (required reading for all Western Kentucky University journalism majors back in the day - still have my copy).

I feel like that, even if it's not a contagion, it's still worth having hope if there is still just one upright woman and one compassionate man who are refusing not only to be a part of this madness right now, but are also refusing to be silent about it. It's still worth fighting.

But I fully admit, I'm getting tired.

No comments:

Post a Comment