Saturday, November 27, 2021

Sometimes people leave you

Confession: I'm not a big fan of Sondheim musicals. Guess I'm just not sophisticated enough. But being a theatre kid, his music has been all around me, starting my freshman year at university - I was even in a Sondheim review at WKU. And I do love Into the Woods except for the song, "Into the Woods." 

When I went to the movie of Into the Woods, I was snickering after the movie started and I heard someone behind me whispering, "IS THIS A MUSICAL?!?" No one walked out, so that's impressive. 

I was enjoying the movie - just a nice way to spend the day after Christmas. And it got to the Baker's Wife singing, "Sometimes people leave you" and WHAM, out of the blue, I think I made a noise as I completely and suddenly burst into tears. Whew - I still get chills thinking about it. I had to wait until all the credits were over so that I was pulled together enough to leave the theater. 

Whether I'm a big fan or not, I am absolutely in awe of his creativity, talent, influence and incredible output, and he is part of the soundtrack of my life. Very sad to see him go.

No comments:

Post a Comment