Friday, December 3, 2021

I have had a most rare vision.

I love saying various actors' names into my Roku device and seeing what movies or old TV shows might be available for free. 

And it was in doing so that I found the 1968 A Midsummer Night's Dream for free on Pluto TV last night (via my Roku device), featuring a lot of very young British actors that are now giants of stage and screen: David Warner as Lysander, Diana Rigg as Helena, Helen Mirren as Hermia, Judi Dench as Titania, Ian Holm as Puck and lots more familiar faces, all young and fresh and earnest and fearless. (you can easily guess which name I had used to discover this, if you know me at all)

I watched about half of it (I was sleepy). 

It's VERY primitive in terms of filming and special effects (think high schoolers in the 70s filming with one super 8 camera, or in the 80s with videotape). It's clear that they had to dub it later because they didn't have sound equipment, and the dubbing still makes the sound muddy. I think they wore their own clothes (or no clothes at all). They filmed almost entirely outside (no budget for lighting for anything indoors). There are no fade-ins or fade-outs, special effects are done from quick jump edits and lighting that looks like flashlights, and on and on. 

And yet... it's really wonderful to see how British actors just GO FOR IT, go all-in regarding their performances, damn the poor filming quality, damn the lack of any budget whatsoever, damn how cold they were in most of the scenes. They hold nothing back. It's delightful.

But let's face it: Mark Lamos' 1988 production of A Midsummer Night's Dream at Hartford Stage in Connecticut ruined all productions for those of us who saw it, because his was PERFECT!!! There are a couple of staging choices he made that I cannot get out of my head, like how Titania delivers the line, I pray thee, gentle mortal, sing again, sitting astride Bottom in the most provocative way... I've never seen a production that interpreted that line that way. 

We need theater. We need it SO MUCH. We need to sit in darkened theaters or fully lit public parks or and empty field or, really, anywhere, together, and see people pretending to be something else, delivering a compelling story. We need to laugh together, cry together, be delighted together as we share in the experience. 

We are all losing our humanity because of this damn virus and the people who refuse to get vaccinated.

Also see my 2012 blog about loving Shakespeare, when I was trying to read all the plays. 

And my blog Lovin' the Bard has been the most popular personal blog I've ever written.

No comments:

Post a Comment