Sunday, December 10, 2023

daring to comment on the situation in Israel and Palestine

I support a Palestinian state AND I unequivocally condemn the rapes by Hamas. I want the borders of the West Bank to be returned to 1982 lines and I condemn violence perpetuated upon Palestinians by settlers AND I condemn all calls for the elimination of Israel. I want a ceasefire by Israel AND Hamas. I don't believe peace and prosperity is possible in Israel nor Palestine while Hamas is in power NOR while Netanyahu is in power. I hate anti-Semitism and condemn it outright, with no reservations, AND I hate anti-Islamic or anti-Palestinian sentiments that imply these people are somehow inherently subhuman or dangerous and I condemn such outright, with no reservations, and if any of this sentence bothers you, unfriend me, because I just can't with racism. 

And I believe there's no place for me in any demonstration, in any pubic act meant to comment on what is happening, because of the absolutism demanded by organizers, that in supporting something I want to support I must turn a blind eye to something I loathe. I don't know how to support what I want to support without seeming like I'm supporting violence and the dehumanization of one group or another. 

I don't know what to even ask of my elected officials. 

I don't know what the answer to all of this is. 

Just please, everyone, don't lose your humanity. Don't smile at anyone being hurt or killed. Don't choose the dark side, no matter how good or righteous it feels.

No comments:

Post a Comment